This is a Write30 prompt. That means you read the prompt, ponder for a minute or two and then get down to writing. See where it takes you.
Fortune cookies, newspaper horoscope predictions, a quote on a page in a diary – pick one of these. How would you character interpret these in their situation? You can imagine a funny scene, sad scene, happy scene – anything.
What lens will they apply? Will they ignore it? Will they read too much into it and spiral? Or will they laugh about it?
Here are some sample fortune cookie messages.
- A dubious friend may be an enemy in camouflage.
- A fresh start will put you on your way.
- A short pencil is usually better than a long memory any day.
- Feeding a cow with roses does not get extra appreciation.
Here are some astrological predictions.
- You’ll not only surrender, but realize the tremendous power of not trying to force things.
- If you step up, stay humble and embrace the learning curve, you could leap into a new league of self-mastery, self-sufficiency and leadership.
After the session, find examples from books where great writers have done the same thing! Note down your observations and learnings.